Feng Shui Children's Room
Children’s room can be a challenge as it usually needs to fulfil two opposing functions – play and sleep. The room should also support the children and their needs as they grow. Naturally, children must feel safe, confortable, secure and cared for to thrive. Creating a fun, healthy and happy environment for your child may not be an easy task, but certainly fully rewarding. Feng shui believes that parents and children can enjoy healthy relationships and success of the environment supports them.
How to organize your child's bedroom
- The energy of the east witth the rising sun in the morning is ideal for children. Whereas the west with the setting sun at night is suitable for your child who is hyperactive and cannot settle (although this direction is better for elderly people to sleep in). If possible, place boy’s bed in the east or north of the bedroom and girl in the south, southeast or west of the bedroom.
- One of the most important things in improving feng shui children’s room is the position of the children’s bed. Position the beds in a way that the crown or top of our children’s head are pointing towards their good compass directions. If the head of the beds are pointing towards one of their negative compass directions, then it can throw their life out of balance.
- Just like a feng shui bedroom, children’s bed should also have a good high headboard and should not back on to a door or a window. Do not place the bed in line with the door or under a window. And never place the bed on the same wall that houses tthe plumbing to the toilet. This will cause health problems as the constant rush of water as well as the elimination of waste is too damaging for them. They should also not see a bathroom, toilet or stairs from the bed because they drain energy.
- When a room is shared, each child should have his/her own private space within it that they feel is their own. Keeping the room clutter-free and clean as well as having the high level of oxygen are of course necessary in feng shui children’s room.
- Wooden beds are preferable because wood represents growth. Another reason is that they dont pick up electromagnetic radiation. Bunk beds are not recommended since they depress the chi – children need room to grow and the bed overhead exerts presure on the child below. Beams and cupboards can also have a debilitating effect. Furniture with curved corners helps to prevent minor accidents and poison arrows.
- Move all electrical items as far from your children’s sleeping area as possible. Those items create electromagnetic fields and can prevent energy from moving freely and clearly. Such items may include televisions, baby monitors, sound machines, clock radios, stereos and computers.
- It is also important that they should feel safe, that is why a view of the door is essential for children. If you have room with dark corners which house many strange shapes and cast shadows on the wall can prove very disturbing for young children with vivid imaginations. No mirror or high reflective surfaces facing the bed. Ensure that curtains or blinds are down when the child is sleeping.
- The color of a child’s bedroom should be nurturing and warm. Children who are over two years old tend to be very active. In order to make them calmer, you can use ‘yin’ or negative colors such as green and blue in the room. Yin colors promote calmness and peacefulness. You can use these colors for bedding, paint the wall with blue or you can even dress them in these colors as well. Red and pink are ‘yang’ or positive colors and are more suitable for children who require a lot of stimulation/activation.
- Becareful with what your child see everyday. Display images that are happy, comforting and non-threatening for the little ones. Put pictures, images or statues that are useful and positive because these would be the objects that are seen before they fall asleep and after they wake up. A happy family photo would be a good choice. It reminds them they are part of the family and would also prevent them feeling lonely or alone in the room.