Feng Shui Balcony
Balconies are cool, we can sit, relax and enjoy the sun or getting the perfect sun tanning. In fact, feng shui is so useful until it can be applied in almost everywhere including your garden and balcony.
How to Organize Your Balcony
- Since most balconies only have a limited amount of area, we should be sure that our balcony has no sharp shapes, corners and edges. This is also to avoid any poison arrows. If the balcony sports sharp corners structurally, then you can place tall healthy plants in the corners in order to balance them.
- Do make sure also that our balconies are not overcrowded, pay attention to the proportions. Get rid of all the rags, unwanted empty bottles and broken skis.
- For those who cant afford to have their own garden, you can still use your balcony as a garden. Placing plants on a patio, balcony and terrace or at the doorway will attract positive chi. You can install window boxes so that you can grow plants in them. Choose plants and flowers that do not require a lot of maintenance. Make sure that the plants are healthy – a dying or sick plant is actually worse than no plant at all. Pay attention also to the corners of your balcony, remove any dead leaves or soil collecting there.
Never place spiky cactus plants or pointed leaf plants on the balcony as they prevent good energy from flowing into your home. Plants with vibrant colors are always welcome.
- The most auspicious sites overlook a river or a park, but most overlook a busy road and some even a brick wall. According to recent studies, hospital patients who overlook a garden recover more quickly than those who do not have such a view.
The Four Animal formation suggests that you need to define your space. By placing a window-box on your window sill you not only define the Phoenix position but you also fill your home with the Wood energy of growing plants. A healthy display of green plants to greet you in the morning will spur you on for the day ahead and welcome you home in the evening.
- The direction in which our balconies face is also important, the colors of the window-box, plants, flowers or blubs may be choosen to correspond to its direction or to focus on a life aspiration, using the Bagua.
- The buildings and landscapes outside our balcony and apartment windows are extremely important. Certain structures, objects, other buildings etc can happen to be your sha chi (killing energy) to your apartment and yourself if you are able to see them from your balcony or windows. When you face this problem, some feng shui masters may advice you to place feng shui items to neutralize or overcome the killing force. However, these feng shui items might not be too effective to solve the problem if the killing energy is too powerful. In this case, you probably have to avoid living in your apartment. To make sure that you will not have this kind of problem, you should consult a feng shui expert before purchasing any apartment or house.
- Doors should not be facing balconies (or windows and toilets). A door facing windows will encourage your children to think of nothing but escaping outside. A door facing the balcony also means your heart is not “at home”, this can influence our marital relations, our children’s performance at school and even slowdown our career advancement.
But fortunately, there is a solution for this, you can place a partition or some form of decoration such as placing a few potted plants between them in order to block the direct view from the door to your balcony.